Papers and talks on BOINC
Here's a list of conferences related to volunteer computing.
Talks on video
- Public Computing: Reconnecting People to Science. David P. Anderson. Conference on Shared Knowledge and the Web. Residencia de Estudiantes, Madrid, Spain, Nov. 17-19 2003. (A paper about BOINC's goals. Also available in HTML, HTML/German, HTML/Dutch, Japanese).
- Distributing Science, by D. Carroll, C. Rahmlow, T. Psiaki, and G. Wojtaszczyk, July 2005.
Technical papers involving BOINC
- C.B. Ries, C. Schröder, and V. Grout, Model-based Generation of Workunits, Computation Sequences, Series and Service Interfaces for BOINC based Projects, accepted, Proc. of International Conference on Software Engineering Research and Practice (SERP'12), part of WORLDCOMP'12, USA, Las Vegas, July, 2012
- C.B. Ries, C. Schröder, and V. Grout, A UML Profile for the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC), Proc. of IEEE Conference on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics (ICCAIE 2011), Malaysia, Penang, December, 2011
- C.B. Ries, C. Schröder, and V. Grout, Generation of an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC), Proc. of Seventh Collaborative Research Symposium on Security, E-learning, Internet and Networking (SEIN 2011), Germany, Furtwangen, October, 2011
- A Modeling Language Approach for the Abstraction of the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) Framework, Christian Benjamin Ries, Thomas Hilbig, and Christian Schröder, Proc. of IEEE International Multiconference on Computer Science and Information Technology (IMCSIT), Poland, Wisla, October, 2010
- Correlated Resource Models of Internet End Hosts Eric Heien, Derrick Kondo, David P. Anderson. 31st International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 2011.
- ComsolGrid - A framework for performing large-scale parameter studies using Comsol Multiphysics and Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC). Christian Benjamin Ries and Christian Schröder, COMSOL Multiphysics Conference, Proceedings of the COMSOL Conference, ISBN: 978-0-9825697-6-4, France, Paris, 2010
- Discovering Statistical Models of Availability in Large Distributed Systems: An Empirical Study of SETI@home. Bahman Javadi, Derrick Kondo, Jean-Marc Vincent, David P. Anderson. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Computing.
- Oded Nov, Ofer Arazy, and David P. Anderson. Crowdsourcing for science: understanding and enhancing SciSourcing contribution. The Changing Dynamics of Scientific Collaborations, workshop at CSCW 2010, Savannah GA, Feb. 7 2010.
- Exploiting Non-Dedicated Resources for Cloud Computing. Artur Andrzejak, Derrick Kondo and David P. Anderson. To appear in the 12th IEEE/IFIP Network Operations & Management Symposium (NOMS 2010), Osaka, Japan April 19-23, 2010.
- A Communication Framework for Fault-tolerant Parallel Execution. Nagarajan Kanna, Jaspal Subhlok, Edgar Gabriel, Eshwar Rohit and David Anderson. The 22nd International Workshop on Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing, Newark, Delaware, Oct 8-10 2009.
- Computing Low Latency Batches with Unreliable Workers in Volunteer Computing Environments. Eric M. Heien, David P. Anderson, and Kenichi Hagihara. To appear, Journal of Grid Computing.
- Performance Prediction and Analysis of BOINC Projects: An Empirical Study with EmBOINC. Trilce Estrada, Michela Taufer, David Anderson. To appear, Journal of Grid Computing.
- Mining for Statistical Models of Availability in Large-Scale Distributed Systems: An Empirical Study of SETI@home. Bahman Javadi, Derrick Kondo, Jean-Marc Vincent, David P. Anderson. 17th Annual Meeting of the IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Modelling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, Sept 21-23 2009, London.
- Balancing Scientist Needs and Volunteer Preferences in Volunteer Computing Using Constraint Optimization. James Atlas, Trilce Estrada, Keith Decker, Michela Taufer. ICCS 2009.
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Cloud Computing versus Desktop Grids. Derrick Kondo, Bahman Javadi, Paul Malecot, Franck Cappello and David Anderson. 18th International Heterogeneity in Computing Workshop, May 25 2009, Rome.
- EmBOINC: An Emulator for Performace Analysis of BOINC Projects. Trilce Estrada, Michela Taufer, Kevin Reed, David Anderson. 3rd Workshop on Desktop Grids and Volunteer Computing Systems (PCGrid 2009), May 29, 2009, Rome.
- Celebrating Diversity in Volunteer Computing. David P. Anderson and Kevin Reed. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), January 5-8, 2009. (Best Paper award)
- Ensuring Collective Availability in Volatile Resource Pools via Forecasting. Artur Andrzejak, Derrick Kondo, and David P. Anderson. 19th IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management (DSOM 2008), Samos Island, Greece, September 22-26, 2008.
- On Correlated Availability in Internet-Distributed Systems. Derrick Kondo, Artur Andrzejak, and David P. Anderson. 9th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Grid Computing (Grid 2008), Tsukuba, Japan, Sept 29 - Oct 1 2008.
- Performance Evaluation of Scheduling Policies for Volunteer Computing. Derrick Kondo, David P. Anderson and John McLeod VII. 3rd IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing. Banagalore, India, December 10-13 2007.
- Local Scheduling for Volunteer Computing. David P. Anderson and John McLeod VII. Workshop on Large-Scale, Volatile Desktop Grids (PCGrid 2007) held in conjunction with the IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), March 30, 2007, Long Beach.
- Designing a Runtime System for Volunteer Computing. David P. Anderson, Carl Christensen and Bruce Allen. Supercomputing '06 (The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis), Tampa, November 2006.
- The Effectiveness of Threshold-Based Scheduling Policies in BOINC Projects. Trilce Estrada, David A. Flores, Michela Taufer, Patricia J. Teller, Andre Kerstens, David P. Anderson. Second IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing (e-Science'06), p. 88.
- The Computational and Storage Potential of Volunteer Computing. David P. Anderson and Gilles Fedak IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, Singapore, May 16-19, 2006.
- High-Performance Task Distribution for Volunteer Computing. David P. Anderson, Eric Korpela, Rom Walton First IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Technologies. 5-8 December 2005, Melbourne
- Homogeneous Redundancy: a Technique to Ensure Integrity of Molecular Simulation Results Using Public Computing. M. Taufer, D. Anderson, P. Cicotti, C.L. Brooks III. From 19th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS'05) Heterogeneous Computing Workshop. April 4 2005, Denver CO.
- Developing Distributed Computing Solutions Combining Grid Computing and Public Computing. Jakob Gregor Pedersen & Christian Ulrik Søttrup. Master's thesis from University of Copenhagen. March 2005. (Describes tools for transparently moving jobs between Condor and BOINC.)
- Distributed MD4 Password Hashing with Grid Computing Package BOINC. Stephen Pellicer, Yi Pan and Minyi Guo. Grid and Cooperative Computing – GCC 2004. Third International Conference Wuhan, China, October 21-24, 2004 Proceedings.
- BOINC: A System for Public-Resource Computing and Storage. David P. Anderson. 5th IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Grid Computing. November 8, 2004, Pittsburgh, USA. (Also available in Japanese)
- Computación Desktop Grid mediante tecnología BOINC Luis Javier Durán LLanos. PFC de la ETSII de la Universidad de Sevilla, perteneciente al Dpto. de Arquitectura y Tecnología de Computadores. El proyecto ha sido dirigido por José Luis Guisado Lizar. En este documento se describe tanto la arquitectura BOINC como el proceso de creación de un proyecto BOINC paso a paso. El documento contiene un análisis de costes y unas pruebas de rendimiento. (Universidad de Sevilla's ETSII's final career project belonging to Dpto. de Arquitectura y Tecnología de Computadores. The project has been leaded by José Luis Guisado Lizar.This document describes both the BOINC architecture as the process of creating a BOINC project step by step.The document contains an analysis of costs and some performance tests. In Spanish)
- Science@Duquesne: Structure of Aqueous Sodium Perchlorate Solutions, Ignacio J. General, Eliana K. Asciutto and Jeffry D. Madura, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2008, 112 (48), pp 15417–15425.
- Distributed computing and farm management with application to the search for heavy gauge bosons using the ATLAS experiment at the LHC. Lopez-Perez, Juan Antonio. PhD thesis, Jan. 2008.
- Expanding the reach of Grid computing: combining Globus- and BOINC-based systems. Myers, D. S., A. L. Bazinet and M. P. Cummings. 2008. Pages 71-85. In Talbi, E.-G. and A. Zomaya (Eds.) Grids for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Wiley Book Series on Parallel and Distributed Computing. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Gene Sequence Alignment on a Public Computing Platform. Stephen Pellicer, Nova Ahmed, Yi Pan, and Yao Zheng. Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops (ICPP@'05), 2005.
- The Challenge of Volunteer Computing With Lengthy Climate Model Simulations. Carl Christensen, Tolu Aina and David Stainforth. First IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Technologies. 5-8 December 2005, Melbourne
- Reporting@Home: Delivering Dynamic Graphical Feedback to Participants in Community Computing Projects. Stuart Ozer, David E. Kim, David Baker (Microsoft Research Technical report MSR-TR-2007-17).
Other papers on volunteer computing
- A. Marosi, G. Gombas, Z. Balaton, P. Kacsuk. SZTAKI Desktop Grid: Building a Scalable, Secure Platform for Desktop Grid Computing. CoreGRID Technical Report TR-100.
- M. Taufer, A. Kerstens, T. Estrada, D.A. Flores, and P.J. Teller: SimBA: a Discrete Event Simulator for Performance Prediction of Volunteer Computing Projects. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Principles of Advanced and Distributed Simulation 2007 (PADS'07), June 2007, San Diego, California, USA.
- M. Taufer, A. Kerstens, T. Estrada, D.A. Flores, R. Zamudio, P.J. Teller, R. Armen, and C.L. Brooks III: Moving Volunteer Computing towards Knowledge-Constructed, Dynamically-Adaptive Modeling and Scheduling. Proceedings of the First Workshop on Large-Scale, Volatile Desktop Grids (PCGrid'07), in conjunction with IPDPS'07 March 2007, Long Beach, California, USA.
- SLINC: A Framework for Volunteer Computing, James Baldassari, David Finkel, and David Toth, Proceedings of the 18th IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems - PDCS 2006, November 13-15, 2006, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- BOINC on JXTA by Marcin Cieslak (Thesis from Technical University of Wroclaw, Poland).
- Silaghi, G. , Araujo, F. , Domingues, P. , Silva, L. M. , Arenas, A. Defeating Colluding Nodes in Desktop Grid Computing Platforms. in Proceedings of the 22nd IPDPS conference, PCGrid2008 workshop, Miami, USA, April 2008.
- D. Toth The Impact of Multi-Core Architectures on Task Retrieval Policies for Volunteer Computing. Proceedings of The 20th IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems - PDCS 2008, November 16-18, 2008, pp. 330-335, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- D. Toth and D. Finkel Increasing the Amount of Work Completed by Volunteer Computing Projects with Task Distribution Policies. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Desktop Grids and Volunteer Computing Systems (PCGrid 2008), in conjunction with IPDPS'08, April 18, 2008, Miami, Florida, USA.
- D. Toth Volunteer Computing with Video Game Consoles. Proceedings of the 6th WSEAS International Conference on Software Engineering, Parallel and Distributed Systems (SEPADS 2007), February 16-19, 2007, Corfu, Greece.
- D. Toth and D. Finkel Characterizing Resource Availability for Volunteer Computing and its Impact on Task Distribution Methods. Proceedings of the 6th WSEAS International Conference on Software Engineering, Parallel and Distributed Systems (SEPADS 2007), February 16-19, 2007, Corfu, Greece.
- D. Toth and D. Finkel. A Comparison of Techniques for Distributing File-based Tasks for Public-Resource Computing. Proceedings of The 17th IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems - PDCS 2005, November 14-16, 2005, pp. 398-403, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- Kan Watanabe, Masaru Fukushi, Susumu Horiguchi. Optimal Spot-checking to minimize the Computation Time in Volunteer Computing. Proceedings of the 22nd IPDPS conference, PCGrid2008 workshop, Miami, USA, April 2008.