Installing on MacOS
- Download the installer.
- If your browser has not already done so, expand the zip archive by double-clicking on it in the Finder.
- Double-click on the BOINC Installer application to run the installer, then follow the prompts.
- Close the installer when it is finished. This will automatically launch the BOINC Manager.
- If you want BOINC to be your screen saver, open System Preferences from the Apple menu. Select Desktop & Screen Saver and select BOINCSaver.
Several tools for MacOS are available to:
- Automatically run BOINC as a daemon or system service at boot time.
- Improve security for stand-alone clients.
- Prevent BOINC Manager from launching automatically when selected users log in.
- Install BOINC remotely using the command line interface.
You do not need to uninstall BOINC on the Mac if you are installing a different version. The installer automatically takes care of removing the unwanted files.
To completely remove (uninstall) BOINC from your Macintosh, run the Uninstall BOINC application which is included with the installer.
NOTE: for Mac versions prior to 6.8, this also removes all your BOINC Data files. If you want to preserve these, rename or move the folder /Library/Application Support/BOINC Data and each user's BOINC Manager settings at /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/BOINC Manager Preferences before running the Uninstall BOINC application.
For Mac version 6.8 and later, the uninstaller does not touch the BOINC Data files. If you wish to delete them, drag the items listed above into the trash after running the Uninstall BOINC application.