An account manager is a web site where you can browse BOINC-based projects, and attach or detach them. This simplifies participating in BOINC, especially if you
- have several computers
- participate in several projects
- like to learn about new projects.
The advantages of using an account manager:
|With account manager||Without account manager|
|See all BOINC projects, old and new, listed and described at the account manager.||Find BOINC projects by word-of-mouth or using a search engine.|
|Attach to a project with one mouse click. If you have multiple computers, all of them will be attached.||Attach to a project by bringing up the 'Attach Project Wizard' in the BOINC Manager, and entering the URL and your email address and password. You must do this separately at each of your computers.|
|Change your account details (name, email address, password) in one web page, at the account manager.||Change your account details on each project web site, separately.|
|Set resource shares for all projects in one web page, at the account manager.||Set resource shares at each project web site, separately.|
|Create/join/quit teams in one web page, at the account manager.||Create/join/quit teams at each project web site, separately.|
Available Account Managers
- BOINC Account Manager (BAM!)
- Science United (this lets you sign up for science areas rather than specific projects).
Attaching to an Account Manager
Once you have registered with an account manager, you will need to attach each of your clients to the account manager.
Remember to register with an account manager first.
Using the GUI
- In the Tools menu, select 'Use Account Manager...'
- Select which account manager you want to use, BOINC Account Manager or GridRepublic
- If you use a different account manager, you can fill in its URL in the Account Manager URL path and continue from there.
- Enter either the username and password you registered with your account manager.
- Click the Next button, and the BOINC client will connect with your account manager.
To attach to an account manager from the command line using Boinccmd, type
boinccmd --join_acct_mgr URL name password
where 'URL' is the URL of the account manager, and 'name' and 'password' are your login info there.