Joined: 23 Jan 22
Hello fellow users of Boinc,
Almost 6 months ago, I started to use Boinc on Fedora35, but did not succeeded. I have asked here how to move the data folder to a specific drive, which you can read here on Boinc Message Board. Although the replies were helpful, I could not get Boinc use a different drive on F35, besides /var/lib/boinc or /home/[$user]. Because I miss running Boinc projects, I am re-trying to have Boinc using a different drive, than these two. Therefore, I created this thread in hoping to achieve Boinc using a different drive in F36.
The following have I tried already:
1. Installing the official Fedora version of Boinc 7.16.11, but could not find a moving option
2. Installing the official Fedora version of Boinc 7.16.11, with a btrfs disk mounted under /var/lib/boinc, data ended in /home/[$user]
3. Installing the Flathub verison of Boinc 7.18.1, but could not find a moving option
There is an alternative, which I have not tries yet:
Any how, Is there another way to have Boinc 7.18.1 run on F36 with its data on a different disk, than /? Thus, does Boinc 7.18.1 an alternative way to use a different disk for its data?
Otherwise I have to find yet another way to have Boinc at an alternative disk. Like running Bottled* Boinc for Windows, and then select the preferred disk. Which is quit a work around. *Bottles is a Flathub app version of Wine.
Joined: 2 Feb 22
What is it you are not happy with?
A. the paths "/var/lib/boinc" and "/home/[$user]"
B. the device (disk) the data is stored on
In case of "/home/[$user]"
Modify the systemd boinc service unit.
There's a line looking like "ExecStart=.../boinc ..."
Enter the data dir there, e.g. "ExecStart=.../boinc --dir /path/where/you/want/boinc/data/to/be/boinc_data ...."
Ensure this path has the correct access rights
In case of "/var/lib/boinc" and (B.)
1. prepare a large "boinc" disk with btrfs (you wrote you are using btrfs)
2. create 2 subvolumes on that disk: "boinc_program" and "boinc_data"
3. Rename "/var/lib/boinc" to "/var/lib/boinc1"
4. create an empty "/var/lib/boinc" as mountpoint and mount "boinc_program" there
5. copy all data from "/var/lib/boinc1" to "/var/lib/boinc" (preserve attributes)
6. create an empty "/path/where/you/want/boinc/data/to/be/boinc_data" as mountpoint and mount "boinc_data" there
7. restart BOINC
Make the new mountpoints persistent in /etc/fstab.
Joined: 28 Jun 10
Thanks for that. I have only ever changed things during OS installation when giving BOINC its own hard disk mounted at /var/lib/boinc/ is trivial.
Copyright © 2022 University of California. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.