Joined: 29 Aug 05
With a little bit of work from your side, you can make things work that don't work at this moment. Therefore I'll give you some links to sites where you can update your motherboard chipset drivers, videocard or -chip drivers and DirectX.
AMD Updates and Support
Intel drivers and support
You can use CPU-Z to find out details about your motherboard. If you run dxdiag in Windows, you can check up on your DirectX version and videocard. (Start->Run, type dxdiag and hit Enter)
Intel Integrated drivers
SIS (for integrated videochips)
VIA (for integrated videochips)
At all times, if you have an integrated videochip on your system, check your motherboard maker's site first for updated drivers.
DirectX redistribution versions:
DirectX 9.0c February 2007 update (English)
DirectX 9.0c April 2007 update (Multi-lingual)
Joined: 29 Aug 05
Fixes for the screen saver:
- Make sure you are up to date with your drivers and DirectX version. See this post for links.
- Make sure your video card is OpenGL 1.2 compatible. (It doesn't need to be compliant, just compatible with a latest drivers update. If the latest drivers update didn't add at least 1.2 compatibility, your video card can't be used)
- Set your Settings in Windows to not switch to a blank screen or resume with password. (Usually Desktop properties, Screen Saver, BOINC as screen saver choice, Settings)
- Don't let your monitor power down after less minutes in Windows Power Options (in Control Panel) than you set your BOINC preferences.
- Adjust your screen saver to kick in 1 minute after you let BOINC go crunch in Idle time, especially when you have an embedded videocard. Embedded videocards are video chips on the motherboard. They use your CPU and motherboard RAM, instead of an independent GPU and additional RAM for graphics only.
- You can at all times open the graphics on the running result. In Boinc Manager, go to Tasks (Work in 5.2.x and before), select the result that shows Running, press the Show graphics button. This window can be maximized. If you can't see graphics in this window, you have a problem with your videocard. (If you have BOINC installed as a service, you don't have this option by default. You do need this work around)
- Using the screen saver (or graphics) takes up CPU cycles. If you have a slow computer, consider not using either for prolonged periods of time.
When none of this helps, always state what videocard and operating system you use.
Joined: 13 Aug 06
But anyone getting workunit crashes with 107 error codes, typically caused by graphics problems, would do well to disable the screensaver and avoid maximising the the graphics window that's accessed through the boinc manager button.
There's a lot of self-help available in the README posts here:
They were compiled for ClimatePrediction members, but if you think of a 'model' as a 'workunit', most of the advice is useful for crunchers of any project.
Copyright © 2022 University of California. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.