Joined: 19 Dec 14
Hi, I've been through several guides and forums but still missing something.
- New CentOS 7 Minimal install (7.4.1708 Core)
- firewalld disabled
- boinc-client and boinc-manager installed via yum from epel (later added boinc-client-devel, boinc-client-doc, boinc-client-static) - all dependencies listed resolved fine
- added my user to the boinc group and added G+RW recursively on /var/lib/boinc
- systemd shows client running ok:
[root@localhost ~]# systemctl status boinc-client
● boinc-client.service - Berkeley Open Infrastructure Network Computing Client
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/boinc-client.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat 2017-09-16 12:46:03 PDT; 9s ago
Process: 13591 ExecStopPost=/bin/rm -f /var/lib/boinc/lockfile (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 13584 ExecStop=/usr/bin/boinccmd --quit (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 13594 ExecStart=/usr/bin/boinc_client --daemon --start_delay 1 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 13595 (boinc_client)
└─13595 /usr/bin/boinc_client --daemon --start_delay 1
I'm using gnome desktop as my own user and when I launch the boinc manager it says 'Retrieving current status' and after ~10sec changes to 'Unable to connect to to the core client'.
The only buttons that function in the manager window are 'Notices' (none) and 'Help' which takes me to general help pages.
Appreciate any help on what I'm missing.
Joined: 4 Jul 12
It looks like you did everything correct. I can't see what version of BOINC was installed but you should double check that when starting the Manager from Gnome it is started with /var/lib/boinc as working directory. The Manager needs to read /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg in order to connect to the Client automatically. You could try to connect the Manager using the menu and enter the password from this file yourself just to check that it is working.
Joined: 19 Dec 14
Version is 7.6.22
Issue is gone now after:
1. Launched boincmgr via command line:
boincmgr -e /var/lib/boinc
> Manager app launches and prompted to connect to project (all working as expected). I switched the view to Advanced and added SETI@home project.
2. I did a `locate boinc` and noticed this file:
> In that file I edited:
Exec=boincmgr -e /var/lib/boinc
3. Tried launching boincmgr from command line w/o options (as root: boincmgr)
> Manager app launces in Advanced view but fails to connect. hmm...
4. I reverted the change to the boinc-manager.desktop file and then logged into root's desktop. Manager app launches normally and shows SETI project that I added.
5. Go back to my user desktop and Manager still fails to connect to client.
6. OK, so reboot and log back into my desktop and the Manager app launches and connects ok, SETI project still shows, but my view is reverted to Simple.
So I'm a bit lost which step(s) are the actual fix but if anyone else facing this problem I'd suggest logging into root's desktop, get Manager connected to client, then reboot and try it from your own user desktop.
Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion that the manager wasn't looking in to /var/lib/boinc seems correct, at least not for user other than root.
Copyright © 2018 University of California. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.