Editing computing preferences with the BOINC Manager
To edit computing preferences in the BOINC Manager, select Computing preferences... from the Options menu.
The dialog shows at the top whether preferences you are using prefs from a project, and if so, which one.
Clicking on Use web prefs: restores web-based preferences and closes the dialog.
The simple view dialog lets you control only a subset of preferences:
- Suspend when computer is on battery: Check this to suspend computing on portables when running on battery power.
- Suspend when computer is in use: Check this to suspend computing and file transfers when you're using the computer.
- 'In use' means mouse/keyboard input in last N minutes: This determines when the computer is considered 'in use'.
- Compute only between X and Y: Compute only during a particular period each day.
- Use at most N % of CPU time: Suspend/resume computing every few seconds to reduce CPU temperature and energy usage. Example: 75% means compute for 3 seconds, wait for 1 second, and repeat.
- Transfer files only between X and Y: Transfer files only during a particular period each day.
- Use no more than N GB of disk space: Limit the totals amount of disk space used by BOINC.
The Advanced view dialog lets you control all the computing prefs. It has 4 tabs:
- Control computing preferences.
- Control network preferences.
- Control disk and memory preferences.
- Control scheduling of computing and communication.
This lets you specify time ranges during which BOINC can compute and communicate, and lets you override this on specific days of the week. Use 24-hour time notation (00:00 to 23:59).