|Version 5 (modified by davea, 3 years ago) (diff)|
The 2nd day of the BOINC workshop will be a "hackfest", in which we divide into groups and get something useful done. Possible activities include:
- design something
- write code
- get existing software to work
- write or improve documentation.
Each group will have a coordinator, who will define the goals and prepare resources.
Workshop attendees: please register for one or more hackfest groups by editing this page. If you don't see a group that interests you, create one.
If you don't participate in a group, you'll have nothing to do on the 2nd day of the workshop.
Possible Hackfest groups
Here are some possible groups. I have filled in names of possible coordinators; this is completely flexible.
Multi-user projects, bags of task, and remote job submission
Goal: complete the design of BOINC's proposed features for remote job submission and multi-user projects. Review existing systems, possibly incorporating their features. Implement something if time permits.
Coordinator: David Anderson
- Review RemoteJobs and PortalFeatures
- Review the source code: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/browser/trunk/boinc/html/user/submit.php
BOINC on Ubuntu
Goal: bring the BOINC client for Ubuntu up to the same standard as the Windows and Mac versions. In particular:
- One-click installation
- Client start at boot time
- User activity detection
Coordinator: Steffen Moeller?
Goal: Create a "cookbook" for deploying virtual machine apps.
Coordinator: Rom Walton?
Goal: Create a "cookbook" for deploying OpenCL apps.
Coordinator: Bernd Machenschalk?
BOINC on Android
- Learn how to set up a development environment for Android
- Complete the design of the BOINC client for Android; implement some part of it
- Create a cookbook for developing an app version for ARM/Android.
Coordinator: Carl Christensen(?)
(Attic is a peer-to-peer file distribution system designed for volunteer computing systems).
- Complete the design of BOINC support for Attic.
- Creating a working demo of a project that uses Attic
- Document this in cookbook form
Coordinator: Ian Kelley?
PHP hack session / website improvement
- Find a new design/usage concept for the general webpages
- Discuss tools to document/visualize php source code (present/discuss/find tools everyone can use)
- Collect ideas to design an API to plug other websites into the BOINC framework (or vice versa)
- make more pages translateable
- general bug hunting and code hardening
Coordinator: Christian Beer